Friday, September 5, 2008

A Congressman's Response (redux)

NOW! with more hope and less confusion! (emphasis still mine)

Dear Ms. [Lemur],

Thank you for contacting my office concerning the proposed new Health and Human Services regulations regarding birth control. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, this regulation would establish a new definition of abortion. There is a risk that this new definition could confuse certain contraception, including birth control, with abortion. It is possible under these new regulations that women may be discouraged or blocked from receiving birth control from federally funded health care entities.

I firmly believe that a woman's personal decisions about her body and her health are her own to make. Access to prescribed contraception is a legal right in the United States and important in preventing unintended pregnancies, family planning, and treating medical conditions such as endometriosis and irregular cycles. Please be assured that I will continue the fight for measures that protect women's health.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact my office. I sincerely appreciate your input and hope that you will contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance. Additionally, I hope you'll find my website (www.klein.house.gov) a useful resource for keeping up with events in Washington and the 22nd District of Florida.

Sincerely,

Ron Klein
Member of Congress

ETA:
Okay folks, having RE-read this letter, I realize I've been a bad blogger and did not fact check. Bad Lemur, no cookie. I assumed Congressman Klein was behind the proposal in the first place, because I wrote to him objecting to it. Nope, not true. I tried to see who was behind it and couldn't find a particular person. (Maybe HHS is just one big multibrained entity.) Anyway, not Klein. He got my letter because he's (was) my particular Congressman, is all. Actually, it turns out he's not a bad guy, for a politician anyway.

So yeah, this letter actually makes a lot more sense now. My apologies to Ron Klein, and anyone having the misfortune to read this post.
I will be accepting thumps upside the head, and will be more careful in the future.
Sorry, guys!