Tuesday, August 19, 2008

funny: ur doin it wrong

I watched the Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget last night. Honestly, why do I bother? Something like 10 comedians spoke. 2 were female. The only funny one was Cloris Leachman (honestly, I didn't know she was still around). For being like, 80, she was terrific and did better than any of them at getting a laugh from me. The rest of them had shtick that boiled down to "OMG GAY/RAPE/PEDOPHILE/SLUT/UGLY/FAT JOKE LOL!" No really. Jon Lovitz had about 5 minutes of "Bob Saget is gay and he takes it up the ass" jokes. Comedy gold!
I shit you not. Is our society so fucked up that that's all we've got for humor?
I don't know if it would've been better if Saget was actually gay, but it pisses me off that it's still put in the category of "things that are insulting". I'm sorry your collective masculinity is so fucking fragile that any intimation that you don't stick your big manly peen in as many vaginae as possible- hell, 2 or 3 at once!- is a huge insult. I have never seen a gay comedian insult another gay comedian by joking about him/her liking hetero sex.

Also, the 2 ladies up there were either a) slut-shamed, b) declared not worth male attention, or c) both at once! The guys got some "you're sexually unappealing/promiscuous" jokes, but not as many.
Norm MacDonald, by the way, used to be vaguely funny...? But his stuff was so terrible I wasn't sure if he was doing some experimental comedy wherein he's so awful he comes full circle to funny again. If so, it didn't work. The only response he got was [insert cricket sound]. The other female comedian was, if better than MacDonald, just as bad as everyone else.

The thing is, I would've laughed at this crap a couple years ago. I still laughed at a couple jokes that I intellectually knew were not cool. Hey, I'm working on it.
I'm given to telling people who ask me "Can't you take a joke?", "No, I had to turn in my sense of humor when they gave me my Feminist Membership Card." It usually gets them to shut up (after a parting shot of "yeah, I guess you did.") But it pisses me off that I have to say it, make excuses or justifications for why I can't "lighten up". You know what? Screw that. I have a great sense of humor. I love to laugh. I'm just not the type of douchebag who thinks rape jokes are funny. Finding this kind of stuff funny does not make you edgy or mean you have a sense of humor. It's like laughing at racist jokes- on some level, you think it's true. Which makes you a douche.
Dude comedians, fail. 1 chick comedian who was trying for 'honorary dude' and only managing 'stupid', you fail too.
Comedy Central: learn to comedian.